Friday, June 1, 2012

Pondering the Sun


I have been pondering and considering anger against The One and, try as I might, I cannot find any in myself.  I do not blame The Creator for that which was designed and planned to be random and fair. But, I think that comes from my firm conviction that we are, like everything else in creation, designed to renew, to rebirth--or, in a word, reincarnate. This makes my life seem a lot more fair than it perhaps would if I believed I were going to live once--with my unique circumstances and challenges--and then die and be judged on that one life. 
I ponder the Sun. Imagine if it were to shine only one day. One time to warm the Earth. One time to bring light and joy to the people and plant life of this planet. Only one time to shine.  What if that one and only day were cloudy and overcast? Then, what if the sun were judged on its performance on that one and only day? Perhaps the Sun could be excused for being angry and resentful... After all, this was an uneven playing field; the game was rigged.  But, the knowledge that the Sun does, in fact, have a countless number of days to shine (and be appreciated for it), well, perhaps this knowledge alone renders resentment--of any one single day, no matter how inconvenient, disappointing, or painful--unenlightened, indeed.
Of course, one could argue that lots and lots of chances might tend to devalue any one single life experience (Why don’t I just go ahead and be an asshole? After all, I’ll get another whack at it, right?), but this is to negate the role of Karma in our lives.  What we do, we must learn from.  If we give in to our Shadow Side, this can make for some pretty painful lessons.  Far better on ourselves, I think, to take the gentle path, to walk the Good Road.
Sometimes, it takes a Herculean effort not to take things personally.  Your child is born--and, is not physically perfect.  Cancer strikes.  Murder.  Poverty. Starvation.  Cruelty.  Well, you get it, the whole human drama.  But if we remind ourselves at such times, that it isn’t a personal thing, it isn’t a permanent thing, it isn’t about reward and punishment, judgement or redemption... It is simply about today being “our turn.”  Well, then we can let go of the need to shake our fists at the Almighty, or turn our backs on The One.  We can simply learn to accept.  For, truly, “this, too, shall pass.”
Blessed Be--in suffering and joy, for all conditions are Sacred and ordained by Spirit.
Winnie

2 comments:

  1. One of the most beautiful essays I have ever read was by a lady who grew up near you in Tuscumbia, Alabama. She was blinded and deafened as a child, and while there were signs that she had residual memories of sight and sound as a toddler, she had to relearn language from the ground up, or from the water at the well. The miracle of Helen Keller's rebirth to language from the water pump is one of the greatest baptismal or reincarnation metaphors I have ever come across. But it was her essay on what she would do if she could see for one day. One day. And what if the sun hid from her that one day of sight? I think she would still see a miracle worth celebrating.

    When I pray with the sick and dying, I often use the phrase from Psalms, "This is the day the Lord has made" as representing our life as day the Lord gave up. It is amazing to me how many understand and take comfort that they have had this one day, this miracle day, even when it has been as you say a day overcast in pain and hidden from the sun.

    I used to say I didn't believe in reincarnation, but what is the Christian concept of salvation, but reincarnation? Thank you for your beautiful blog. It had given me a beacon of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always appreciate your thoughts, Mike, they inspire so many thoughts of my own - thank you.

    ReplyDelete